Oxtail pate includes no liver, it is just made with the rich, flavorful meat of oxtails.
- 3-4 pounds oxtails, cooked*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons drained bottled green peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp oxtail bouillon or beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
* To cook the oxtails, follow the instructions on the oxtail beef bouillon recipe. Or, salt the oxtails, then brown them in a little vegetable oil on all sides, place oxtails in a pot, brown a chopped onion, carrot, and celery stalk, add to pot. Cover with water, bring to a low simmer, simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours until the meat is falling off the bone.
1 Carefully pick through and discard the fat and bones from the oxtails. Place the meat in a food processor.
2 Heat 2 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the chopped onions. Cook until translucent and lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes. Add the cooked onions to the oxtail meat in the food processor. Add 4 Tbsp more of butter, the orange juice, peppercorns, bouillon or broth, cloves and salt. Pulse until the mixture is finely minced, but not completely smooth.
3 Press the pâté into a crock or mold of some sort. The pâté will keep several days in the fridge, covered.
Bring to room temperature for serving, and serve with crusty bread or crackers.