Pasta with lightly toasted cauliflower florets cooked in a sauce of tomato, anchovies, onions, garlic, parsley and Parmesan.
Variations to this recipe include adding some toasted pinenuts or walnuts, a few raisins, and or some saffron.
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs*
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided 2 and 4 Tbsp
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp anchovies packed in oil, minced (about 6 anchovies)
- 1 large head of cauliflower, core removed and discarded, florets coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 pound small elbow macaroni
- 1 15-ounce can of whole tomatoes, chopped, or diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* To make breadcrumbs, chop up about 3 slices of day old bread. Pulse in blender or food processor until you have small crumbs.
1 Toast breadcrumbs: Toast crumbs in a little olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat until lightly browned. Remove crumbs from skillet and set aside.
2 Sauté onions with garlic and anchovies: Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in the skillet on medium low heat. Add the onions, garlic, and anchovies.
Crush the anchovies with the back of a spoon so that they smear well over the onions. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
While you are cooking the onions, put a large pot of salted water (1 Tbsp salt for 2 quarts of water) for the pasta on the stove to boil.
3 Sauté cauliflower florets: Heat 4 Tbsp olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat. Add the cauliflower, stir infrequently, allowing the cauliflower edges to brown. Cook until the cauliflower florets are lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add red pepper flakes to the pan, and salt and pepper to taste.
4 Add tomato paste, tomatoes, onion mixture: Dissolve tomato paste in 1/2 cup of water. Lower the heat to low. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and anchovies, stir to combine well.
Cook, uncovered, on low heat, until the cauliflower is tender.
5 Cook pasta, add to cauliflower mixture: Cook the pasta, uncovered, in salted boiling water until just al dente, according to the pasta package's cooking directions. Drain the pasta from the cooking water and add the cooked pasta to the cauliflower mixture.
Stir in about half of the parsley, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan (leave the rest for garnish on top).
Makes great leftovers as the flavors have more time to blend.