Peach cobbler, easy and delicious, prepared with ripe yellow peaches, lemon, nutmeg, and a crumbled dough topping.
Use ripe, sweet, flavorful, firm peaches. The cobbler will only be as good as the fruit going into it, so taste test your fruit first. The best peaches to use with this recipe are yellow peaches. White peaches, although delicious on their own, are too delicate and don't hold their flavor as well as the yellow when cooked.
Preparation and cooking time: 1 1/2 hours.
- 4 lbs of ripe yellow peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 1 cup sugar, divided 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup quick cooking (instant) tapioca
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
1 In a large bowl, mix peaches, 2/3 cup sugar, and the tapioca, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla. Let stand at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes to soften the tapioca, stirring several times.
2 In another bowl, combine flour with remaining 1/3 cup sugar, the baking powder, and nutmeg. With a pastry blender or your fingers, incorporate butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream and stir just until dough holds together.
3 In a buttered shallow 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish, spread fruit level. Using your hands, crumble dough evenly over fruit.
4 Bake in 350°F oven until fruit mixture bubbles in center and topping is golden brown, 50-60 minutes.
Delicious with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.