Pear pie with streusel topping, filled with chopped pears and accented with candied ginger and maple syrup. A perfectly delicious autumn pie.
- 1 recipe dough for pate brisee pie crust (or use frozen crust)
- 6 cups of peeled and roughly chopped pears (use Bosc or Bartlett)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of chopped candied ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger)
Oatmeal Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 2/3 cup of flour
- 1/2 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 Roll out pie dough and place in a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie dish and place in the freezer to set.
2 Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the chopped pears in a large bowl with the cornstarch, candied ginger, brown sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Toss well.
3 Place the pear mixture into the chilled, crust lined pie dish and smooth the top of the fruit. Place the pie into the center oven rack and bake for 45 minutes. (Put a baking sheet on the rack under the pie to catch any drippings.) After 30 minutes, line the edges of the pie with foil or a pie protector to prevent them from burning.
4 While baking take all the Oatmeal Crumb Topping ingredients and place them in a bowl. Use your hands and mix the ingredients until large crumbs form. Refrigerate until use.
5 After 45 minutes reduce heat to 375F. Remove the pie and carefully place the crumb topping over the pie, covering all the fruit. Bake for another 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least one hour. Serve.