Italian bell pepper, onion, tomato sauté, with garlic, ground oregano, and fresh basil.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, sliced into 2 1/2 to 3-inch long strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded, sliced into 2 1/2 to 3-inch long strips
- 2 orange or green bell peppers, seeded, sliced into 2 1/2 to 3-inch long strips
- 1 large onion, sliced into half-moons
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4-5 Roma or other plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, leaves torn roughly
- Lemon juice
1 Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the onions. Sprinkle with a little salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onions just begin to color.
2 Add the peppers and stir well to combine with the onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. The peppers should be al dente—cooked, but with a little crunch left in them.
3 Add the garlic, and sauté another 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle a little more salt over everything and add the sugar and dried oregano. Cook 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, and cook just one minute further.
4 Turn off the heat and mix in the torn basil. Grind some black pepper over everything. Right before serving squeeze a little lemon juice over the dish.