Spicy persimmon cookies recipe made with ripe persimmons and with a persimmon orange sugar glaze.
- 1 cup very ripe persimmon pulp*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups (270 g) flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dried cranberries, raisins, or dates
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp persimmon puree
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
* If using a hachiya persimmon, it should be very ripe and completely soft to the touch. Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp. Discard any seeds that might be there. Each hachiya persimmon should yield anywhere from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of pulp.
1 Prepare persimmon pulp: Using a blender, food processor, or mini chopper, purée the ripe persimmon pulp until smooth. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
2 Beat together the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix in the persimmon purée and orange zest.
3 In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt.
4 Make cookie dough: Add dry ingredients to persimmon mixture a third at a time, stirring just until flour is incorporated. Stir in nuts and dried fruit.
5 Chill dough for 1 hour.
6 Bake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Drop cookie dough rounds on stick-free cookie sheets, leaving at least an inch between the cookies.
Bake for 13 to 14 minutes or until cookies are browned around the edges and spring back when lightly touched in center. Let cool on baking racks before frosting.
7 Prepare frosting: While the cookies are cooling sift confectioner's sugar and then whisk with 2 Tbsp of orange juice until smooth. Add 1 Tbsp of persimmon puree and 1 teaspoon of orange zest and mix until smooth. Dip spoon into glaze mixture and dribble over cookies. Let harden before serving.