Poached salmon, the easiest way to prepare delicious salmon steaks or fillets, poached in white wine, seasoned with fresh dill.
- 1 to 1½ pounds salmon fillets, pin bones removed
- ½ cup dry white wine (a good Sauvignon Blanc)
- ½ cup water
- A few thin slices of yellow onion and/or 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
- Several sprigs of fresh dill or sprinkle of dried dill
- A sprig of fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
1 Sprinkle the salmon fillets with a little salt. Put the wine, water, dill, parsley and onions in a sauté pan, and bring to a simmer on medium heat.
2 Place salmon fillets, skin-side down on the pan. Cover. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet, or to desired done-ness. Do not overcook. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.