Whole salt preserved anchovies are preferred, but you can also use anchovy paste, perhaps a couple teaspoons, or more to taste, mixed in with the dressing.
- 6 heads of Belgian endive
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic
- 6 to 12 small oil-packed salted anchovy fillets (jarred or canned), to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 In a large serving bowl, stir the minced garlic into the olive oil. Roughly chop the anchovy fillets and add them to the oil. Add the salt and pepper and the sherry vinegar. Let the dressing sit and the oil infuse while you prep the endives (about 5 minutes).
2 Strip off and discard any outer tired leaves from the endives. Cut off and discard the hard root end of the endives. Slice the endives crosswise into 1-inch wide pieces. Cut the core end, if thick, into halves or quarters.
3 Add the chopped endive leaves to the serving bowl with the dressing, and toss gently until all of the endive leaves are lightly coated in the dressing.