Once you've cooked the quinoa as instructed, feel free to improvise a bit on the add-ins in the last step. I chose mint, basil, chives, and cucumber for this recipe, but you could just as easily go with parsley, green onions, chopped fresh red bell pepper.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided 1 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or Thai basil*
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (or green onions including the greens)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- Salt and pepper
* Best way to chop basil or mint is to chiffonade it by rolling up the leaves like a cigar and slicing crosswise from the end.
1 Rinse quinoa if instructed on box: Check your box of quinoa, if it recommends rinsing the quinoa, place the quinoa in a large sieve and rinse it until the water runs clear. (Some brands don't require rinsing.)
2 Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, pine nuts: Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat in a 1 1/2 to 2 quart pot. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and pine nuts and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent, but not browned.
3 Add quinoa: Add the uncooked quinoa and cook, stirring occasionally for a couple more minutes. You can let some of the quinoa get a little toasted.
4 Add water, salt, bring to simmer: Add 2 cups of water and one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low so that the quinoa and water are simmering while the pot is partially covered (enough to let out some steam).
Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and put into a large serving bowl. Fluff up with a fork.
5 Stir in olive oil, mint, basil, chives, cucumber: Let cool until just slightly warm, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Stir in chopped mint, basil, chives, and cucumber. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.