Fresh red radish salad with mint, shallots, lemon, and toasted pistachios.
This salad is best eaten fresh. You can prep the ingredients several hours ahead, and even let the radishes marinate in the lemon juice for a couple hours. But don't add the oil, mint, or pistachios until read to serve.
- 1 pound of red or pink radishes, cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- Grated zest of one lemon, about 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup minced shallots, from 1 to 2 shallots
- Juice from one lemon, about 3 to 4 Tbps
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A heaping 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 10 large mint (spearmint) leaves, chopped or sliced thin, about 1/4 cup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Mix the radish wedges, minced shallots, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
2 Toast the shelled pistachios by heating a small skillet on high heat. Add the pistachios and heat until lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.
3 When you are ready to serve, if there is a lot of excess liquid in the radishes, strain some of it out. Then toss the toasted pistachios, mint, and olive oil in with the radishes.