Roasted eggplant and tomato soup recipe made with oven roasted tomatoes, carrots, garlic, chickpeas, and eggplant. Seasoned with curry powder and cilantro.
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes (about 12), tough stem point removed, and tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1/2 lb carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs of eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
1 Preheat oven to 425°F, with racks on top and bottom of the oven. On one rimmed baking sheet, toss together tomatoes, carrots, garlic, 2 Tbsp oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread out on the baking sheet in a single layer, with the tomatoes cut sides down.
2 On another rimmed baking sheet, toss together the eggplant, chickpeas, curry powder, remaining 2 Tbsp oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Place both sheets in oven (tomato mixture on the top rack). Roast until tender, about 45 minutes, tossing the mixtures halfway through.
3 Using tongs, peel off and discard the tomato skins. Purée tomato mixture (including the juices) in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large pot. Stir in the eggplant mixture; thin with 3 to 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve, sprinkled with cilantro; garnish with toasted bread if desired.