A quick and easy salmon and macaroni salad recipe.
Tip: add the macaroni to the salmon mayo mixture when it is still warm. That way it will absorb the flavors better.
Prep the salad ingredients while the pasta water is heating and the macaroni cooking.
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) dry macaroni pasta
- 2 (7-ounce) cans salmon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (plus more to taste or for added smoothness)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots, red onions, or green onions (with onion greens)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Tabasco to taste (we used about 10 drops)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1 Bring a pot of water (2 quarts) to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp salt. Add the dry macaroni pasta and cook, uncovered, in a rolling boil for about 10 minutes, or until the macaroni is al dente (slightly firm). Remove from heat, drain, rinse briefly in cold water (macaroni should be still warm after rinsing) and drain again.
2 In a large bowl mix the salmon, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix in the shallots, parsley, dill, and celery.
3 Mix in the cooked macaroni while it is still warm. Add Tabasco and freshly ground black pepper to taste. As the macaroni absorbs the mayonnaise, you may need to add some water to the salad to keep it from being dry. Adjust seasonings.
Chill before serving.