Fresh salmon, marinated in teriyaki sauce and grilled on skewers with pineapple and green onions.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin rice wine or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1 lb salmon fillet, rinsed, cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb fresh pineapple, cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch segments
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes before using
1 In a medium bowl, mix together the soy sauce, mirin or rice vinegar, and brown sugar, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the fresh ginger, minced green onions, chili pepper flakes, and vegetable oil. Place the cubes of salmon in the bowl, coat completely with the marinade. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
2 Remove salmon from marinade. Place marinade in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes, set aside.
3 Thread salmon, pineapple, and onion pieces on skewers. If using a grill, prepare grill for high, direct heat. Oil the grill grates. Place skewers on grill. Cover. If using an oven broiler, place on a rack on a broiling pan, so that the salmon pieces are 6 inches from the element. Turn after 2 to 4 minutes. Baste with reserved marinade. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes more, basting frequently, until salmon is just barely cooked through.
Yield: Serves 4.