Recipe for baby artichokes, sauteed with onions and garlic, served with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 2 pounds baby artichokes
- Bowl of water with 3 cups of water and juice from 2 fresh lemons (about 3 Tbsp) or equivalent amount of vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped, including the green ends
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 to 1/2 cup to taste)
1 Rinse the baby artichokes. Set out a bowl with 3 cups of ice-cold water; add the fresh squeezed juice from 2 lemons (about 3 Tbsp of lemon juice) or vinegar. Working on the artichokes one by one, cut off the stem to 1/4-inch from the base; peel back and remove the petals until only the top third of the cone tip is pale green green. Cut off the pale green tips. Trim off any remaining green from base of artichoke. Halve or quarter the artichokes, depending on their size and drop in the bowl of acidified water (to prevent discoloration).
2 Drain artichokes. In a large skillet, heat the artichokes and 1 cup of water to boiling. Cover and simmer 3-5 minutes, depending on the size of the artichokes. Drain well.
3 Using the same skillet, heat to medium high and add the olive oil. Add the artichokes, onions, garlic, and herbes de Provence. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle on 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar, salt and pepper. Put in serving bowl, sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.