Shell pasta with sausage and greens recipe, made with shell pasta, Italian sausage, and kale or broccoli rabe.
- 1 lb. shell or ear-shaped "Conchiglie" pasta
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage - half hot, half sweet or plain
- 12 oz. bunch of kale, broccoli rabe, or other green, chopped (if using kale, or leafy green, remove and discard center stem)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a Tbsp of olive oil. Add the pasta and cook as directed on the package, until al dente.
2 While pasta is being prepared, cook kale or rabe in chicken stock for about 8 minutes.
3 While greens are cooking, sauté Italian sausage until brown - about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage from pan. Add green onions to pan, sauté until soft. Add garlic and cook for a minute more.
4 When pasta is done, drain and return to pan. Toss together with the greens, sausage, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Add chile pepper flakes to taste.
Note: You might want to try experimenting with adding some sautéed bell pepper.