Shell pasta with sausage and greens, made with shell pasta, Italian sausage, and kale or broccoli rabe.
- 1 lb. shell or ear-shaped "Conchiglie" pasta
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage, sweet or hot, or a mixture of both
- 12 oz bunch of kale, broccoli rabe, or other green, chopped (if using kale, or leafy green, remove and discard center stem)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil (1 Tbsp of salt). Add the pasta and cook as directed on the package, until al dente.
2 While pasta is being prepared, heat 1 1/2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a saucepan until simmering. Add the kale or rabe and cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. Strain and set aside.
3 While greens are cooking, remove the sausage from their casings (if in links) and crumble onto a large sauté pan. Heat on medium heat and gently cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage from the pan to a bowl, set aside. Add the chopped green onions to pan, sauté until soft. Add garlic and cook for a minute more.
4 When pasta is done, drain and add to the pan with the green onions. Add the sausage and kale (or rabe) to the pan and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Add chile pepper flakes to taste.
Note: You might want to try experimenting with adding some sautéed bell pepper.