Pasta with shrimp, artichoke hearts, basil pesto, and peas. A great quick, pull-together meal.
- 1/2 pound linguine, fettuccine, spaghetti, or other pasta
- 2 Tbsp prepared basil pesto
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 20 frozen artichoke heart quarters, thawed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion greens
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Boil the pasta: Heat a large pot of salted water (4 quarts of water, 2 tablespoons salt) on high heat until boiling.
Add the pasta. Cook uncovered on high heat with a vigorous boil until al dente (cooked but still a little firm), about 8 to 10 minutes or whatever your pasta package says is appropriate for al dente.
2 Reserve some pasta cooking liquid, drain pasta. Once the pasta is done, and before draining the pasta, scoop out one cup of the pasta cooking liquid and reserve. Drain the pasta.
3 Toss the pasta with the pesto and keep it warm.
4 Sauté the shrimp and garlic: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shrimp and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the shrimp is pink and not quite cooked through.
5 Add the peas and artichokes, lower the heat to medium, cover and cook for an additional minute.
6 Add green onions, parsley, pasta: Add the green onions and parsley, reduce the heat to low. Add the pasta and about a third of a cup of the reserved cooking water.
Toss to coat evenly. Add more cooking water if the pasta is still a little too dry.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.