Long and crunchy Chinese green beans, quickly stir-fried Sichuan style with red chilies, Sichuan peppercorns, and sesame oil.
Chinese long beans can be found in both green and purple varieties. Both have similar flavors and textures, and either kind can be used for this recipe.
- 1/2 pound Chinese long beans
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (sesame or vegetable can suffice)
- 4-6 dried chilies, preferably Sichuanese, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- Splash of soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free option)
1 Add a tablespoon of peanut oil to a wok or a large sauté pan over medium heat and swirl until hot. Add chilies and peppers and stir-fry briefly until fragrant.
2 Add the long beans and stir-fry vigorously for 3-4 minutes (you don't want the spices to burn, if they start to then turn down the heat a bit). Season with salt and sugar and stir-fry a few seconds more to mix it all together.
3 Remove from heat. Stir in the sesame oil and soy sauce. Serve immediately.
Yield: Serves 3-4.