Chinese long beans can be found in both green and purple varieties. Both have similar flavors and textures, and either kind can be used for this recipe.
- 1/2 pound Chinese long beans
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (sesame or vegetable can suffice)
- 4-6 dried chilies, preferably Sichuanese, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- Splash of soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free option)
1 Add a tablespoon of peanut oil to a wok or a large sauté pan over medium heat and swirl until hot. Add chilies and peppers and stir-fry briefly until fragrant.
2 Add the long beans and stir-fry vigorously for 3-4 minutes (you don't want the spices to burn, if they start to then turn down the heat a bit). Season with salt and sugar and stir-fry a few seconds more to mix it all together.
3 Remove from heat. Stir in the sesame oil and soy sauce. Serve immediately.