Jump to Recipe
A little trivia here. What makes a bisque a bisque and not a chowder? Both bisques and chowders are made with seafood and vegetables, with a cream base.
Chowders tend to be more stew-like or chunky, and bisques puréed. Bisques are traditionally made with shellfish, though these days a puréed tomato, cream-based soup can be called a bisque too.
We half-puréed this smoked salmon bisque, which accounts for the photograph. My father made this delicious soup the other day after being inspired by a bisque we had at a local bistro and wine bar. So creamy and good.
Smoked Salmon Bisque RecipePrint
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 quart (32 oz) clam juice
- 3/4 pounds salmon fillet, chopped 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 to 4 ounces smoked salmon (depending on how strong a smoked flavor you want, and how strongly smoked the salmon is), chopped
- 2 cups canned or stewed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- Salt to taste
1 Melt butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, leeks, mushrooms, garlic and cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms have given up their moisture (7 to 10 minutes).
2 Add the clam juice, smoked salmon, tomatoes (break up tomatoes while putting them in the soup), parsley, cilantro, dill, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and Old Bay seasoning; cook until heated through.
3 Put flour into a separate bowl. Slowly add the milk, beating with a wire whisk until smooth. Mix in the cream. Stir cream flour mixture into the soup. Stir in fresh salmon and simmer for 5 more minutes. If you want, use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or pour some or all of the soup into a standing blender and purée. Salt to taste.
Garnish with fresh dill.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Smoked Salmon Bisque on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print