Spicy grilled turkey burger served with tomatoes, sweet pickles, and coleslaw. Not your everyday turkey burger, these have fresh chives, bread crumbs, basil and Tabasco sauce.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (white meat, dark meat, or a mixture)
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons of hot chile sauce such as Tabasco sauce (amount depends on how spicy you like your foods), or Tabasco Chipotle sauce
- 2 green onions, minced, white and green parts
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Sweet pickle slices
- 1 tomato, cored and sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup loosely packed arugula, watercress, or just another cup of shredded cabbage
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Prepare your grill (either gas or charcoal) for direct high heat. You can also cook the burgers on the stove-top on a griddle or cast iron frying pan.
2 In a large bowl, gently combine the turkey meat, bread crumbs, chives, basil, green onions, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, salt and pepper. Work the mixture with your hands until it is just mixed. Don't over mix or your burgers will end up tough. Form four patties, about 1-inch thick.
3 Sprinkle the patties with salt and pepper. Grill them for 5-7 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature of the patties reach 170°F on a meat thermometer. Turkey burgers should be cooked through, not rare. Toward the end of the cooking, put the buns on the grill to toast for about a minute. Remove the burgers from the grill to a platter, cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
4 Assemble the coleslaw. Whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Add to the cabbage, arugula, and basil in a larger bowl right before serving.
5 Assemble the burgers by placing each burger on a bottom bun, and stacking a tomato slice, some pickles, and a bit of coleslaw on top, and then topping with the top bun.