Quick and easy steak salad with thin slices of steak served over arugula and lettuce greens, goat cheese, walnuts, scallions, and bell pepper. Serve with lemon vinaigrette.
No need to bring the steak to room temp before cooking. You sear on such high heat, and the steaks are so thin, it's actually better to cook the steak while it is still relatively chilled, if you want the centers to be rare.
- Olive oil, canola oil, or grapeseed oil
- 1 lb skirt steak or flank steak
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 head lettuce greens
- 1 bunch of arugula, young leaves, tough stems removed
- 1/2 of one red bell pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 1-inch long pieces
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Several toasted walnuts, chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Pomegranate seeds or thinly sliced kumquats (optional)
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
1 Heat a couple teaspoons of cooking oil in a cast iron pan on high heat. Pat the steaks dry. Sprinkle with a little salt. Sear the steaks in the pan on both sides, just until nicely browned. Remove from pan to a cutting board. Let rest for a few minutes before cutting. Slice thin slices, against the grain of the meat.
2 Toss together the lettuce greens, arugula, bell pepper, and scallions. Arrange on individual plates. Sprinkle on chopped walnuts. Sprinkle with goat cheese. Lay on top several slices of chilled sliced steak. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds or sliced kumquats if using.
3 Mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Drizzle on salad.