Easy-to-make strawberry rhubarb cobbler. Strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange peel baked with a biscuit-like cobbler crust topping. Serve with whipped cream.
The cobbler as written is pretty tart; if you prefer a sweeter cobbler you may want to take up the sugar a notch, perhaps another 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
- 4 1/2 cups rhubarb stalks (about 1 1/4 pounds or 560 g) cut into 1-inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries (1/2 pound or 225 g), stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white sugar (1/4 cup to 1/2 cup more if you want the cobbler filling sweeter)
- 2 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- 1 cup (130 g) all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp, 57 g) butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1 In a bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, and orange zest. Let sit to macerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
2 Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, the baking powder and salt. Use your (clean) hands to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, with pieces of butter no bigger than a pea. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened (do not overmix!).
3 Pour fruit into a 2-quart casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit. Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.
Serve with whipped cream (optional).