Easy-to-make strawberry rhubarb cobbler. Strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange peel baked with a biscuit-like cobbler crust topping. Serve with whipped cream.
- 4 1/2 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1-inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1 In a bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, and orange zest. Let sit to macerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
2 In a medium bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons of sugar, the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened.
3 Pour fruit into a 2-quart casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit. Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.
Serve with whipped cream (optional).
Yield: Serves 6.