Classic and delicious strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. Sweet fresh strawberries paired with tart rhubarb and a hint of orange zest.
- 3 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1/2 inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- Unbaked pastry for two-crust 9 inch pie
(If making a 10 inch pie, or just want more filling, use 4.5 cups of rhubarb, 1.5 cups strawberries, and 1 1/4 cup of sugar)
1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, salt, and orange rind. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2 Turn into a pastry lined pan. Top with the pastry, trim the edge, and crimp the top and bottom edges together. Cut slits in the top for the steam to escape.
3 Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F, and bake an additional 30-40 minutes longer (40 to 50 minutes longer if doing a 10-inch pie). Cool on a rack.
Serve warm or cold. If you do cool to room temperature, the juices will have more time to thicken.