Large zucchini stuffed with mushrooms, ham, bread crumbs, and Gruyere or Parmesan cheese.
- 4 medium sized zucchini (at least 1/2 pound each) OR 3 large zucchini (3/4 pound each) OR 1 jumbo zucchini (2 pounds)
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 10 ounces of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Gruyere or Parmesan cheese
1 Prep the zucchini: Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash and scrub the zucchini; split each in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp, leaving shells about 1/3-inch to 1/2-inch thick.
2 Steam the zucchini halves: Steam the zucchini halves until almost tender, about 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of the zucchini.
Note that for a jumbo zucchini, you'll need to get a little creative with the steaming, as the halves won't fit in a normal steamer. I steamed mine in a fish poacher. You could put a large zucchini on a rack in a roasting pan over half an inch of boiling water, cover it with aluminum foil and cook it in a hot oven until almost tender.
3 Sauté onions, mushrooms, add ham, parsley: While the zucchini is steaming, melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large sauté pan, add the chopped onions and sliced mushrooms, sauté until soft. Stir in the ham, parsley, Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
4 Stuff the zucchini halves: Pile the stuffing into well-drained zucchini shells. Mix the breadcrumbs and grated cheese together and sprinkle over the stuffed zucchini. Melt 1 Tbsp of butter and drip over the breadcrumbs.
5 Bake: Place the zucchini boats in a greased baking pan; bake at 350°F until toasted on top and heated through, 20-30 minutes.