Delicious pea soup recipe with petit peas, mint, cream, broth, and shallots. Serve hot or cold.
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 3 Tbsp)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (for vegetarian option)
- 2 sprigs of mint, about 6 inches in total stem length
- 1 pound of frozen petite peas (available at Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crème fraîche for garnish (can substitute sour cream diluted with cream)
- Strips of fresh mint for garnish
1 In a medium saucepan (2 1/2 to 3 quart) melt the butter on medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, but not browned, a couple minutes.
2 Add the broth and mint sprigs to the shallots, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Add the frozen peas and salt and pepper to taste. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the peas are just tender, 3-5 minutes.
3 Discard the mint and purée the soup in a blender until completely smooth. Blend in the cream. Taste and correct seasoning.
Reheat to serve warm, or chill to serve cold. Serve garnished with crème fraîche and mint strips.