A simple sweet and spicy mushroom stir fry using honey, ginger, garlic, and dried chilies.
Any clear honey will do, the darker the better.
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock (use vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if cooking gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock (use vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if cooking gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine or cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2-5 dried red chilies, roughly chopped OR 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons sesame, grapeseed, or other high smoke-point oil
- 2 lbs. of mixed mushrooms (oyster, crimini, button, shiitake, and/or enoki), roughly chopped or quartered (you want bite-sized pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups of snow peas or snap peas, de-stringed
- 8 green onions, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1 Make the glaze by whisking together the stock, honey, and soy sauce in a bowl and set aside. Make the sauce by whisking together the stock, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, cooking wine or sherry, and the cornstarch in a bowl and set that aside as well.
2 Place 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or a wok over high heat. When the oil is glistening and a bead of water evaporates in under a second, add the mushrooms and toss. Allow the mushrooms to cook for a few minutes until they start to squeak and give up their water (you'll see their water in the pan). When they do add the glaze. Allow the glaze to boil off, stirring occasionally, about 5-6 minutes. When barely any more liquid remains take the mushrooms off the heat and set them aside in a bowl. There may be bits of sugar caramelized to the side of the pan, don't fret about it.
3 Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and chilies and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the snow peas and green onions and toss for about 30 more seconds.
4 Increase heat to high. Add the sauce and allow the mixture to come to a boil. The sauce will thicken considerably. Add the mushrooms back to the mixture and cook for about 20 more seconds. Take off the heat. Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds if using.