Sweet potatoes cooked and mashed with onions, mint, cilantro, garlic, and olive oil. Puerto Rican boniato recipe.
- 3 lbs light yellow sweet potatoes (boniato if you can get them), peeled, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup (or more) water
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, packed, (about 30-40 leaves)
- 2 Tbsp minced cliantro, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 You can cook the sweet potatoes by either roasting or boiling. To roast, rub olive oil all over the pieces, sprinkle lightly with salt, and put them in a roasting pan, cook at 425°F for 40 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. To boil, put in a saucepan and cover with an inch or two of cold water. Bring to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces through the pieces.
2 Place cooked sweet potato pieces in a large bowl, add olive oil, mash with a potato masher until completely mashed. Slowly add water, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sweet potatoes reach desired consistency.
3 Stir in the onions, garlic, mint, and cilantro. Stir in vanilla extract. Add more salt, and maybe a little sugar if you want, to taste.