Classic grilled cheese tuna salad sandwich with tarragon. Tuna melt recipe with French loaf bread, canned tuna, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, parsley, lemon, tarragon.
- 1 thinly sliced green onion, including the greens
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 6-ounce cans of solid white tuna, well drained and flaked
- 8 1/2-inch slices French or Italian loaf bread (or your favorite bread)
- 1 thinly sliced tomato (8 slices)
- 4 ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp softened butter
1 Mix the green onion, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, black pepper, and mayonnaise in a medium sized bowl. Add the drained tuna, mixing with a fork to break up the flakes.
2 Lay out four slices of bread. Divide the tuna mixture evenly onto the slices. Top each bread slice with tomato slices and grated cheese. Spread one side of the remaining four bread slices with butter. Place bread slices, buttered side up, on top of the cheese.
3 Heat a large griddle, on medium heat (or couple cast iron skillets). Place the sandwiches, buttered side down, onto the hot griddle. Gently spread butter on top of the bread slices. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Then use a metal spatula to lift up the sandwiches and carefully turn them to the other side. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, until the second side is browned.