Recipe by Lisa Fain, the Homesick Texan. Republished with permission of author.
- 4 cups of cooked black-eyed peas (2 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained)
- 8 green onions, just the green parts thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 jalapeño chile peppers, stems and seeds removed (wear gloves! do not touch your eyes after handling them!), finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced, or 1/2 cup of canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 In a medium bowl, stir together the black-eyed peas, green onion greens, cilantro, chopped jalapeño, tomatoes, bell pepper, and garlic.
2 In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and cumin. Pour over the the black-eyed pea mixture. Stir to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Best chilled for several hours. Serve cold as a side salad or with tortilla chips.