Quick baked beans recipe with kidney, black, and cannellini beans, baked with bacon in a molasses-based sauce
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- Freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to soak up excess fat. Crumble up the bacon and set aside.
2 Remove all but a tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the pot. Add the chopped onions and cook on medium high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3 Sprinkle the onions with dry mustard and thyme. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, bay leaf, beans, Tabasco, and water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4 Cover the pot and put into a 350°F oven. Bake for 1 hour, checking every 15 minutes to stir and add more water if needed. Stir in the bacon the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Discard bay leaf before serving.