3-bean salad is one of those quintessential American summer picnic foods. It’s usually made with canned green beans instead of the cannellini white beans I’m using here. But I really don’t care for canned green beans, so cannellini it is. Also of note is that three bean salad traditionally has a dressing comprised of vinegar, oil and sugar. The sugar is important. I tried making this salad without out sugar and it just didn’t work.
Three Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery stalks, chopped fine
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.