Chinese dish of chicken braised with ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce, and Chinese cooking wine.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free version)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 8 1/4-inch-thick slices of peeled ginger
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns or 1 diced red chili pepper(optional)
- 2 lbs. chicken breast or thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 star anise or pinch of anise seed (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
1 Make the braising liquid: In a bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and Shaoxing wine together and mix well. Set aside.
2 Heat a wok or large saute pan on high heat until a drop of water will evaporate within 1-2 seconds. Place the oil in the wok and swirl. Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and Sichuan peppercorns/chili pepper if using and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
3 Add the chicken and stir-fry until no pink on the surface remains (you just want to sear the outside nicely).
4 Add the braising liquid and star anise or anise seed if using and cook for 1 minute ensuring that the chicken is well coated in the braising liquid. Add the water and cover and cook for 4 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains. Serve immediately over rice with hearty amounts of the broth. Garnish with a little extra chopped scallion.
Yield: Serves 6