Quick and easy, mild tilapia fish fillets cooked with onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives.
Feel free to use any tender white fish fillet with this recipe, for example cod or red snapper.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, 1/4 inch slices, sliced lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 3/4 cup green pimento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 6-8 ounce tilapia fillets
1 Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add the canned tomatoes and their juices. Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped olives, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
2 Lay the fish fillets gently on top of the onion tomato olive mixture and spread a little sauce over the fish. Return to a simmer (it's just the juices from the tomatoes that are simmering). Lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook or 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish easily flakes when tested with a fork. Use a wide spatula to lift the fillets from the pan to a serving plate. Spoon sauce over fish. Serve with rice, and/or crusty bread.