Quick and easy, mild tilapia fish fillets cooked with onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives.
Feel free to use any tender white fish fillet with this recipe, for example cod or red snapper.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 6-8 ounce tilapia fillets
1 In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute more. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring sauce to boiling.
2 Gently place the fish fillets in the pan and scoop some of the sauce over the fillets. Return to boiling. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. With a wide spatula, lift fish from skillet to a serving dish. Spoon sauce over fish. Serve with rice, and/or crusty bread.