What to do with all those turkey leftovers? We decided to make turkey stroganoff with some of ours. Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish, popularized in America after World War II, which typically has beef and mushrooms served in a sour cream sauce. Turkey doesn’t have as strong a flavor as beef, so this stroganoff improves with the addition of some leftover turkey gravy, and extra herbs such as thyme.
Turkey Stroganoff Recipe
If you don't have leftover Thanksgiving turkey, you can make turkey stroganoff with ground turkey. Just brown about a pound of it in a couple tablespoons of butter in a large sauté pan on medium high heat, set aside before commencing with the recipe, skip the gravy.
- 1/2 pound button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 lb leftover cooked turkey meat, dark or light meat, roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup leftover turkey gravy (or chicken or turkey stock)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry thyme (important, do not omit)
- 1 cup of sour cream at room temperature (can substitute plain, full-fat yogurt)
- Salt to taste (you will need more salt than you expect)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb egg noodles, cooked
1 Heat a large sauté pan on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and dry sauté them (cook them without oil), shaking the pan frequently so they don't stick, for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mushrooms release their water and begin to brown.
2 Add the butter and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, until the onions begin to brown. Sprinkle salt over everything. Add the turkey meat and gravy and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two, and sprinkle on the thyme, black pepper and nutmeg.
3 Turn off the heat and add the sour cream. You may want to add a few tablespoons of water to thin the sauce. Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let the sauce come to a simmer or boil or it may curdle. Adjust seasonings to taste. In particular, depending on how salty your gravy was, you may need to add salt. More than you think.
Serve immediately over egg noodles.