Turkey tacos recipe with cranberry salsa. Another great way to use up Thanksgiving turkey leftovers.
If you want a super quick way of making the tacos, you can do them in the microwave. Just soften the tortillas first by cooking two tortillas at a time in a single layer on a paper towel, on high heat for 20 seconds per tortilla. Add the shredded cheese and turkey, fold over the tortillas, and heat them again on high for another 15 seconds each, or until the cheese melts.
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- Butter or vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese, or mild cheddar
- Cooked turkey meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Lettuce, preferably iceberg lettuce, sliced very thin and sprinkled with a little vinegar and salt, about 2 cups
- Avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 an apple, peeled and cored
- Zest of one orange
- Chopped serrano or jalapeno chili to taste (about a half a chili, but taste for desired heat)
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Dash of lime or lemon juice
- Dash of salt
1 Prepare cranberry salsa. Combine cranberries and apple in a food processor and pulse until coarsely shredded, about 10 short pulses. Combine shredded cranberries, orange zest, chile, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let sit 15 minutes for the cranberries to macerate. Add cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste. You can also use cranberry relish, just add chopped chiles and cilantro.
2 Heat a large frying pan (preferably cast iron) on medium high heat. Unless you are using freshly made homemade tortillas, you will need to soften them first. Working one or two at a time, spread a little butter on one side of the tortilla and fry it in the hot pan for a few seconds on both sides. Most commercially made tortillas will bubble up a little when cooked like this.
3 Sprinkle one side of the tortilla with grated cheese, and cover one half of the tortilla with turkey meat. Fold over one side of the tortilla onto the other (like an omelette. Cook until the cheese is melted. You may need to flip the tacos over to cook the other side, but if the cheese is completely melted this is unnecessary.
4 Serve with cranberry salsa, fresh shredded lettuce (sprinkled first with a little vinegar and salt), and avocados.