Are you a turnip lover? If so, you must try this delicious turnip and potato patties recipe. A cross between pancakes and fritters, but made with turnips and potatoes.
- 1/2 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 6 oz potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp thinly sliced scallion greens
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Grapeseed oil, peanut oil, or canola oil (high smoke point vegetable oils)
- Salt and pepper
1 In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the turnip and potato cubes for 15 to 17 minutes, until they are tender, and drain them. In a bowl, mash them with a fork and stir in the scallions, the egg, flour, and salt and pepper to taste.
2 Coat the bottom of a large, heavy bottomed skillet with about 1/4-inch of the oil. Heat the pan on medium high heat until the surface of the oil begins to shimmer, but not smoke. Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of the turnip potato batter into the pan, flattening them into 1/2-inch thick patties with the back of a spatula. Fry the patties until they are golden, turning them once, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the patties to paper towels to drain off excess oil.