First presented at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in 1893, this all-American Waldorf salad recipe includes chopped apples, celery, grapes, and toasted walnuts in a mayonnaise dressing.
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise (or yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 sweet apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half (or 1/4 cup of raisins)
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or yogurt) and the lemon juice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. Mix in the apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts. Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce.