Simple tuna and white bean salad, a classic combination and so easy to make.
- 1 cup of chopped red onions or shallots
- The zest and juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes (can sub a tablespoon or two of cider vinegar)
- 2 five to six ounce cans of tuna packed in olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans of cannellini or Great Northern white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup of chopped mint, parsley, or arugula
- A few splashes of Tabasco sauce, or 1 minced Serrano chile or 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt and olive oil to taste
1 Sprinkle some of the lemon juice over the chopped onions while you prepare the other ingredients. This will take some of the oniony edge off the onions.
2 Drain the oil from the tuna and put the tuna into a large bowl. Add the beans to the tuna and gently stir to combine. Add the onions, herbs, black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix to combine. Add Tabasco or chile to taste. If the salad needs more acid, add a little more lemon juice. If the salad seems a little dry, add a little bit of olive oil. Add salt to taste.
3 Chill before serving. This salad will last several days in the fridge, tightly covered.
Yield: Serves 4.