If you’ve ever grown cherry tomatoes in your garden, you know how wonderfully prolific they can be in summer months. The following salad combines the sweetness of summer cherry tomatoes with white beans and parsley. The secret sauce is the dressing, which includes garlic and rosemary infused olive oil, and a paste made of garlic, lemon, Parmesan and anchovies. If you want a vegetarian option, omit the anchovies, if not, by all means include them. Or, if you don’t have access to anchovies, add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce.
White Beans and Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe
- 1 15-ounce cans of white beans, such as Great Northern or canelli beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped (omit for vegetarian option)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 Start by making the dressing. Put the garlic and rosemary in olive oil in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the rosemary begins to sizzle. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes, allowing the rosemary and garlic to infuse in the oil.
2 Remove rosemary sprig from the oil, discard. Remove the garlic from the oil, reserving the oil. Add the garlic, anchovies (omit for vegetarian option), Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until smoth.
3 In a medium bowl, gently fold the garlic mixture in with the beans until they are well coated. Let sit for a few minutes for the beans to absorb. Gently mix in the reserved olive oil, tomatoes, and parsley.
Serves 6 to 8.