This recipe can be made either with a stand mixer, or by hand with a bowl, a wooden spoon, and strong arms. If you use salted butter, please omit the added salt in this recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (160 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick, or 8 Tbsp, or 112g) at room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar (90 g)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed (85 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules or instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (3 1/2 ounces, or 100 g)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Vigorously whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
2 Beat the butter until fluffy. Add the brown and white sugars and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg. Add the vanilla extract and instant coffee and beat until creamy. Add the dry ingredients a third at time, mixing after each addition. When the batter is combined, fold in the nuts and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
3 Drop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoon amounts on a greased baking sheet, place 2 inches apart from each other to allow enough room for the cookies to spread as they bake. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the edges are nicely browned and the center is just barely cooked. Take the cookies from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes, then move them to a rack to cool completely.