A delicious, easy-to-make, moist zucchini bread recipe, with freshly grated zucchini, cinnamon, nutmeg, and optional walnuts and dried cranberries or raisins.
Right after you grate the zucchini, place the grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl to drain any excess moisture while you prep the other ingredients.
You can use anywhere from 3 cups to 4 cups of freshly grated zucchini for this recipe. 4 cups will yield a slightly more dense, moist zucchini bread.
- 2 teaspoons butter for greasing the pans
- 3 to 4 cups grated fresh zucchini (700 to 900 ml)
- 3 cups (390 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cup (270 g) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (100 g) chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup (120 g) dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter two 5 by 9 inch loaf pans. Place the grated zucchini in a sieve or colander over a bowl to drain any excess moisture.
2 In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and ground nutmeg.
3 In another large bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt (omit salt if using salted butter). Stir in the drained grated zucchini and then the melted butter.
4 Add the flour mixture, a third at a time, to the sugar egg zucchini mixture, stirring after each incorporation. Fold in the nuts and dried cranberries or raisins if using.
5 Divide the batter equally between the loaf pans. Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F (175°C) or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.