When you’re in need of a refreshing beverage, try this summer inspired cantaloupe smoothie. It’s only five ingredients and can be whipped up in under 10 minutes! Thick and creamy, each satisfying sip is a quick cool down during the sweltering summer heat. I blend up a batch for those warm afternoons when you need a light sippable snack.
Usually when a fragrant and ripe melon is ready to be sliced up, big pieces to nosh on are all I need for a sweet and nutritious treat. However, I’ve been venturing out and incorporating it to my smoothie routine.
If you haven’t tried adding cantaloupes to drinks, you’ve been missing out. The fruit is naturally sweet, with honey notes. To add dimension to the smoothie, I add some tart plain Greek yogurt and bananas for creaminess.
How to Make a Cantaloupe Smoothie
Freeze the cantaloupe: Adding frozen fruit to the smoothie will make for a creamy drink. I cut the cantaloupe into about 1-inch chunks, place the fruit into a resealable plastic bag in a single layer, then freeze overnight. When blended, the fruit creates a thick consistency without diluting any of the melon flavor.
If you only have fresh fruit on hand, this recipe will still work! Just increase the ice to 1 1/2 cups.
Order of operations: Add the solid ingredients first, like the ice. This ensures that the blades immediately break them down into small ice crystals. Next add the pieces of cantaloupe, banana, yogurt, and pineapple juice. The liquid helps to process the ingredients to a smooth consistency.
Tips for Making this Smoothie Ahead of Time
Making smoothies are quick and easy, but sometimes it’s nice to have your ingredients together and at the ready. We have a comprehensive guide on How to Make Your Own Smoothie Packs if you want to go deep, or you can follow a few of the tips below:
- Cut the melon and banana into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the premeasured fruit to a zip top bag and store in the freezer until you are ready to use. You can prepare multiple smoothie pouches and have them ready, up to 30 days in advance.
- You can even add the ice into the portioned bags too!
- If you are using this make-ahead method, I recommend reducing the ice by half and adding more juice as needed when blending.
Cantaloupe Smoothie Variations
The five-ingredient smoothie is a great starting base for the beverage. However, why not get a little creative to switch up each batch for variety. Give these delicious add-ins a try:
- To add some fresh garden flavors to the smoothie, toss in a few mint or basil leaves.
- Substitute chilled green tea for the pineapple juice if you need a caffeine boost.
- Adjust the sweetness of the smoothie by adding in some honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup.
- Other juices can be used for a tropical taste like guava, passionfruit, mango, or orange juice.
- Use coconut cream or coconut yogurt instead of Greek yogurt.
Try These Delicious Smoothie Recipes
Cut the cantaloupe into 1-inch pieces and place in a single layer in a resealable bag. Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or overnight. If you’re using fresh cantaloupe, increase the ice to 1 1/2 cups.
1/2 cup ice cubes
1 cup cantaloupe, cut into 1-inch pieces, frozen
1/2 cup sliced banana
1/4 cup plain and unsweetened Greek yogurt
1/2 cup pineapple juice
Add ingredients to blender:
Add ice, frozen cantaloupe, banana, yogurt, and pineapple juice to the blender.
Blend the smoothie and serve:
Cover and process on medium speed for 15 to 30 seconds, using the tamper as needed. Increase speed to high for 15 to 30 seconds until the smoothie is thick and smooth. Add additional juice as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Serve immediately.
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 53g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|Total Sugars 39g|
|Vitamin C 123mg||616%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|