Catherine is a freelance writer and editor specializing in food, culture, tourism, home and garden, business, and the arts. Her work has appeared in national publications, such as Bon Appetit, and in film and video. She’s also proud to have been featured in the pages of smaller regional publications that maintain a commitment to local print journalism alongside their digital presences.
- Catherine has written for SimplyRecipes since June 2021.
- Her work has appeared in Bon Appetit, The Register-Guard, and in hyperlocal media.
- She was the conceptualizing producer for Off 90, a magazine-format series of culture and heritage for KSMQ Public Television in Minnesota.
- She has written as a restaurant critic, for theatre, as an art critic, and has two children’s books in development.
- Catherine has a Bachelor’s degree in Communications & Journalism from Towson University, as well as graduate and professional training from Emerson College, Cal State, and the School of Visual Arts and The Foundation Center, both in New York City.
Grandma’s kitchen was a favorite place for Catherine growing up, and that’s where she first experienced the complex and satisfying connections between food, family, and culture. On those many afternoons spent in a small kitchen warmed by the oven and redolent of spices, she learned to bake, roast, broil, and cook almost anything from scratch, and often with only the recipes as grandma remembered them. She moved on from the eager toddler “helping” grandma mix and measure, was educated in multiple academic disciplines, and has traveled in several professional tracks — including law, journalism, and the performing arts — where she was able to develop her skills as a storyteller, writer, and editor. Her professional life currently has roots in the American West, but her peripatetic writer’s mind might just take her anywhere.
Catherine has a Bachelor’s degree in Communications & Journalism from Towson University and has studied at the professional level at Emerson College, California State University Long Beach, the School of Visual Arts, and The Foundation Center.
- Ugh, I Hate Ice Cream (Said no one ever) Tastings, The Register-Guard
- Silicone Rubber Bands Are 1000x More Useful in the Kitchen Than Regular Rubber Bands, Bon Appetit
- Ninkasi Brewing Company Breaks Out with The Better Living Room Restaurant, Tastings, The Register-Guard
- KSMQ’S Off 90 (conceptualizing producer), magazine series of local culture and heritage
About Simply Recipes
Simply Recipes, a Dotdash brand, is here to help you cook delicious meals with less stress and more joy, offering recipes and cooking advice for home cooks, by home cooks. We have more than 3000 tested recipes, guides, and meal plans, and draw over 15 million readers each month. Dotdash's vibrant brands help over 100 million users each month find answers, solve problems, and get inspired.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.