Do you like canned tuna? Growing up in a "fish on Fridays" home, we were never without canned tuna in the pantry.
Even now, if you open up my pantry door, you'll find a stack of cans on the shelf right next to the cans of sardines and whole peeled tomatoes.
It's just the most perfect food in pinch, when you haven't had time to shop, or what's in the fridge is scarily long past its use-by date.
Canned tuna is budget-friendly, good for you, and wonderfully versatile. With it you can make tuna patties, tuna salad, tuna crostini, tuna casserole, and even tuna mac n cheese. Here are just a few ideas for creative ways to use canned tuna, pulled from Simply Recipes and other blogs we love.
Do you have a favorite meal to make with canned tuna? Let us know about it in the comments!
1. Mediterranean Tuna Pasta
This tuna pasta is dressed with a salty blend of olives, capers and mozzarella cheese.
2. Avocado Tuna Salad
Skip the mayo and use avocado instead!
3. Lighter Tuna Casserole from Gimme Some Oven
Ali's lightened-up take on the tuna noodle casserole with plenty of veggies.
4. Tuna and Tomato Pasta
A quick trip under the broiler gives this pasta bake a melty Parmesan crust.
5. Asian Tuna Salad
This Asian-inspired tuna salad features ginger, sesame and green onions. Serve with lettuce or noodles!
6. Pasta with Tuna and Arugula
Pasta, canned tuna, with a peppery kick from red pepper flakes and wilted arugula—but you could easily substitute baby spinach, if that's what you have on-hand.
7. Tuna Patties
Family staple. Kid friendly. Budget friendly. So good!
8. White Bean and Tuna Salad
With white beans and tuna, this quick and easy salad is packed with protein. With onion, parsley, lemon, and Tabasco.
9. Wild Caught Tuna Crostini from View from the Great IslandIn terms of “clean-out-the-pantry” recipes, canned tuna crostini is a godsend. This post offers up plenty of topping inspiration, but really, you're only limited to the ingredients you have on-hand—and whatever you can reasonably pile onto slices of toasted baguette.
10. Cucumber Noodle Salad with Tuna from InspiralizedAnother fabulous way to dress up chicken salad? Veggie noodles! This recipe uses fresh spiralized cucumbers.
11. Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower and Tuna from An Edible MosaicWhen comfort foods collide!
12. Best Ever Tuna Salad Sandwich
I have yet to have a tuna salad sandwich better than this one. No kidding. You may find the ingredient list a little surprising, but believe me it works!
13. Mexican Tuna Salad Stuffed Avocados from The Wicked NoodleFor a grain-free, paleo-friendly way to serve tuna salad, skip the sandwich bread, and opt for an avocado boat!
14. Pasta with Tuna and Capers in White Wine Sauce
Super easy for a mid week meal, and packed with flavor.
15. Chipotle Tuna Empanadas from One Hungry Mama
Almost too cute! Perfect little hand pies for picnics, and tailgates, or road trips.