Nearly a year ago, we shared our response to the Black Lives Matter protests happening around the United States, and set some pledges toward the diversity and inclusion work we can do as a site that reaches over 15 million home cooks every month. Today we want to follow up on those initial promises and share with you the specific goals we’ll be working on this coming year.
Here’s what has been happening since last year:
- We made a team donation of $1000 to Campaign Zero, an organization dedicated to ending police violence.
- We’ve adopted the diversity initiatives and hiring goals of our new parent company, Dotdash, which has ensured a diverse pool of applicants and interviewees with our new full-time and part-time hires. Our parent company also has robust internship and fellowship programs, in which we will begin participating this year.
- Our full-time team has taken comprehensive training courses covering diversity in the workplace and unconscious bias.
As we look forward to the next year at Simply Recipes, these are the goals we are focusing on:
We will conduct an anti-bias review of our entire library with a team of independent reviewers by the end of June 2021. By the end of 2021, we will have a plan in place for remediation of all articles identified during this review, and we will have begun addressing these concerns.
- 7/1/21 Update: ABRB review complete. The editorial team is now reviewing and determining next steps
- 10/1/21 Update: Remediation is complete on 60% of articles identified as needing work by the ABRB review.
- 12/31/21 Update: Remediation is underway on the remaining articles, which require deeper editing. This work will continue into 2022.
By the end of 2021, we will also establish a clear process for identifying, reporting, and addressing bias and cultural appropriation in our content.
- 12/31/21 Update: This process is documented HERE.
We pledge to increase the diversity of our full-time and part-time teams. We will actively recruit racially diverse candidates for every open role, follow anti-bias best practices when interviewing, and establish concrete hiring goals to help us meet our pledge.
- 12/31/21 Update: This goal is part of our ongoing work at Simply Recipes and is happening in partnership with our Dotdash HR team.
Editorially, we will establish a process to regularly recruit and hire writers from racially diverse backgrounds.
- 10/1/21 Update: We have established a new recruiting process with a monthly team meeting and goals for recruiting BIPOC candidates.
We will also invest at least 30% of our monthly budget toward creating content covering diverse world cuisines.
- 7/1/21 Update: Goal met at 30%
- 10/1/21 Update: Came in under goal for previous quarter; progress has been made on better defining our global cuisine content and establishing clearer procedures to make sure this goal is met.
- 12/31/21 Update: Goal met at 37%
By the end of 2021, at least 30% of our new recipe videos will represent people of color. Where we have people present in photos, we will also prioritize racial representation.
- 7/1/21 Update: Goal met in previous quarter
- 10/1/21 Update: No further new videos have been produced
- 12/31/21 Update: No further new videos have been produced
We will use our social media platforms to amplify diverse voices. By the end of 2021, at least 25% of our monthly takeovers and cooking demos on Instagram will feature BIPOC.
- 10/1/21 Update: A new social media editor has been hired and will be working toward this goal.
- 12/31/21: As of this date, we have not done enough takeovers or cooking demos to be statistically significant. This work will continue into 2022.
By the end of 2021, we commit to forming a partnership with a nonprofit organization that is aligned with our commitment toward fighting bias in the food space.
- 12/31/21: We felt short of our goal to actually form a partnership, but have been working with our D&I team to build the foundation for this work. We plan to pursue partnerships in 2022.
We will provide regular updates on the progress of these goals.