Smoothies are a quick and easy breakfast on the go or a refreshing midday pick me up.
This peach smoothie celebrates summer’s favorite fruit and pairs it with a perfect partner—almonds. They’re both from the prunus genus of plants, which also includes apricots, plums, and cherries.
I use both almond extract and almond butter to enhance the natural sweetness of the peaches and add healthy fats to keep you full until your next meal.
A little ripe banana adds natural sweetness and creaminess without overpowering the smoothie with banana-ness. Regular, room temperature banana works, as does frozen—just make sure it’s nice and ripe. Yogurt adds more creamy goodness along with protein.
This is a healthy smoothie that really and truly tastes like a treat.
How to Freeze Fresh Peaches
The starring role in this nutritious drink belongs to peaches, so use the best you can find. Frozen peaches are available year-round and are packaged when the fruit is at its peak. They’re a convenient and affordable option and make excellent smoothies.
That being said, high-quality, in-season peaches are hard to beat in the flavor department. If you end up with a big haul of peaches come summertime, one way to extend their shelf life is to freeze them.
Here is the best way to freeze and store peaches:
- Bring a big pot of water to boil and prepare a big bowl of ice water.
- On the opposite end of the peach from the stem, score using a knife, making a shallow X. This will make the fruit easier to peel.
- Add the peaches to the boiling water and boil for 30 to 45 seconds (less time for ripe peaches, more for under-ripe) and transfer to the ice bath to cool.
- The peaches should peel easily, starting with the X you made. Discard the peels.
- Cut into wedges and place in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for an hour or two, until completely frozen. Transfer to a zip-top freezer bag and store for up to six months.
If your peaches are especially ripe and peel easily, you may not need to boil them at all. Peeling the fruit is technically optional, however it will impact the texture of your smoothie. If you don’t mind some flecks of peel, skip the boiling, and simply slice the peaches and freeze, skin-on.
Using Fresh (Not Frozen) Fruit
If you have plenty of fresh fruit, and no frozen fruit in sight, and want to make a smoothie right away, simply add some ice. After measuring your fruit, milk, and other ingredients into the blender, add a heaping 1/2 cup of ice and blend for a cold, icy smoothie.
Make Ahead Smoothie
Smoothies are a quick snack or breakfast, but they can be even faster if you prep ahead of time.
Measure out the peaches and banana for as many batches of smoothies as you’d like and place in labeled individual freezer bags. You can even prep the other ingredients up to a day beforehand.
Combine the yogurt, almond butter, almond extract, and milk directly in the blender jar or a lidded container and store in the fridge until it’s smoothie time. Add frozen fruit, blend, and you’re done!
Peach Smoothie Variations
While this recipe will produce a reliably delicious peach smoothie, it’s easy to customize to your tastes. Try these simple swaps and additions:
- To make this smoothie vegan and dairy-free, use a non-dairy yogurt or swap the yogurt for more almond milk.
- Feel free to use your favorite nut milk, soy milk or dairy milk.
- For extra sweetness, use vanilla yogurt or almond milk, or add up to 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Make this a green smoothie by adding up to 1 cup of packed baby spinach.
- If you have a high-powered blender, you can add just under 1/4 cup roasted almonds instead of almond butter. Consider soaking them first for a smoother mixture.
- Add up to a tablespoon of chia seeds, up to 2 tablespoons ground flax or protein powder to give the drink a nutritional boost. You may need to add up to 1/4 cup of additional almond milk.
Want More Smoothie Ideas?
- Apple Pie Smoothie
- Quick and Easy Green Smoothie
- Berry Banana Smoothie
- Bloody Mary Smoothie
- Strawberry Almond Oat Smoothie
- Mango Lassi
- 2 cups frozen sliced peaches
- 1/2 fresh ripe banana
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup almond milk
Combine smoothie ingredients in a blender:
In a blender carafe, combine the peaches, banana, yogurt, almond butter, and almond extract. Pour the almond milk over top.
Blend the smoothie and serve:
Blend the ingredients until very smooth. Stop the blender and scrape down the sides as needed and continue to blend. Add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if you need additional liquid to blend everything. Serve immediately.