It’s as if carrot cake and apple cake decided to get together and have babies. These apple carrot cupcakes are the best of both, and the cream cheese frosting is amazing!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups (260 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 (250 g) cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (236 ml) vegetable oil (light olive oil or canola oil)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated tart apples, such as Granny Smith (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup (125 g) coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/4 cup (15 g) sweetened shredded coconut
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces (225 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 g) powdered sugar, sifted
1 Prep the oven: Preheat oven to 350°F and place the rack in the center of the oven.
2 Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
Stir in oil and eggs. Stir in carrots, apples, pecans, and coconut.
3 Bake the cupcakes: Place paper liners in muffin tins. Spoon the batter into the paper cups, three quarters of the way to the top. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes (testing after 20 min), or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
4 Make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Once the cupcakes are cool, apply frosting.