Wow! I'm doing a happy dance just thinking about this apple pie smoothie.
It's dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and it's GREAT.
Anytime you have that many "-free"s in a recipe, I'm doubtful. But I will happily drink this anytime. In fact, I drank the whole batch. (Uh huh, no self control.)
So, what's in it that makes it taste so good?
Applesauce for the apple flavor. Almond milk for the base. Raw cashews for body and to mimic the taste of apple pie crust. Dates for sweetness. Vanilla just because. And ice. It does taste like apple pie, but in a smoothie form.
The Blender Girl cookbook is filled with recipes like this one—creative, healthy, and delicious. More than just smoothies, there are tacos, chiles, soups, salsas, salads and puddings too. All making good use of a blender, and all gluten-free and vegan.
Tess bounced into my kitchen one day for a pie making class. She quickly charmed my father who calls her, "the Australian force of nature". And that she is! No surprise that her book is as fun, bubbly, and beautiful as she is.
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or stewed apples
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 chopped, pitted dates, soaked in water for 1/2 hour OR 2 Tbsp maple syrup*
- 1 cup ice cubes
- *Use dates if using a high speed blender such as a Vitamix, otherwise use maple syrup.