Simple and healthy, Beet and Avocado salad, sprinkled with pistachios and drizzled with a citrusy vinaigrette!
- 4 medium-sized beets (any color), green tops removed, beets scrubbed clean
- 1 just ripe avocado
- 4 ounces mixed green lettuces
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- A Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 Cook the beets: Place beets in a medium saucepan and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to maintain a low simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the beets, until easily pierced with the tines of a fork.
2 Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together the citrus vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl.
3 Toss the beets in vinaigrette: When the beets are done, drain them, and peel off the outer skin. Cut the beets in half, and the halves into wedges.(Tip: use a plastic cutting board when cutting red beets. Red beets will stain wooden cutting boards.)
Place the beet wedges in a bowl and toss with a tablespoon of the vinaigrette.
4 Cut and peel the avocado, cut the avocado into wedges (see how to peel and cut an avocado).
5 Arrange the salad: Toss the salad greens with a half of the citrus vinaigrette. Arrange the dressed greens on serving plates.
Arrange the beet wedges and avocado wedges on top of the salad greens. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over the salads.