Don't settle for plain avocado toast - top it with a zesty olive relish, tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic! This makes a filling and satisfying weekday breakfast.
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced California Green Ripe Olives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices hearty whole grain, artisan-style bread, or another bread of your choice
- 2 avocadoes, halved, pit removed, and sliced
- 4 lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1 Make the relish: In a bowl, stir together the red onion, lemon juice and vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes while you chop the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers and parsley to the bowl. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
The relish can be made a few hours ahead of serving and kept refrigerated. If making further ahead, wait to add the tomatoes and parsley until ready to serve.
2 In a toaster, toast the bread until golden brown, or to the desired doneness.
3 Add the toppings: Top each piece of toast with slices of avocado (left in slices or mashed with a fork), then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Squeeze a lemon wedge over each avocado toast. Top with the olive relish and the pine nuts.
4 Serve the toasts immediately.